For the second year in a row, the S&K Global Solutions team at NASA’s Johnson Space Center was awarded the Contractor Safety and Health Forum (CSF) Safety Excellence Award – “SUPER NOVA”. The award recognizes contractor organizations that have demonstrated Excellence in Safety and Health and significant participation in JSC Safety and Health activities.
Candidates submitted their respective application showing OSHA incidence rate safety data, management, and employee participation level in the CSF, CASC and JSAT meetings, and a description of their safety best practices, safety innovations and service to the JSC community. The awards are presented in three levels: Stellar, Nova and Super Nova.
“Other recipients of this award are significantly larger than S&K – companies like Lockheed Martin, SAIC, Jacobs, among others. So it truly is a significant achievement to climb to the top!” said Barb DeBernardo, Program Manager.
All of the accomplishments, best practices, and innovations have advanced the S&K Global Solutions NASA division towards completion of Stage 1 OSHA Challenge and towards our goal of Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) certification.
Here is how they did it:
- Implemented monthly Safety Committee meetings
- Started an employee perception survey and plan of action to address all feedback
- Created a Corrective Action Tracking Spreadsheet (CATS) to document and track all safety findings and close calls
- Training multiple fire wardens
- Sponsoring the Aliens vs. Astronauts 5K race as a Gold Event partner
- Team participation in the JSC Spring Safety Fair as well as Fall Safety & Health Day
- Engaging the team with weekly safety topic participation
- Implemented the World Autism Awareness/Wear Blue campaign
- Team completion of the NASA Safety Culture Training
- Anonymous Suggestion Box
- Received two JSAT Rays Awards and seven Safe Not Sorry (SNS) Awards
- Actively participating as a StarPort Wellness Program partner
The S&K Global Solutions team provides support to the Engineering Directorate at NASA, helping to promote innovation across information technology and aerospace projects under the EPIC contract.