Aircraft Pod Sustainment and Technical Support
S&K Global Solutions provides support for several pod platforms used by the USAF and our allied customers under the Reliability, Availability, Maintainability for Pods (RAMPOD) II contract.
Pod technology has been supplementing warfighter capabilities for many years and is used on aircraft platforms around the world. A “pod” is a device that is externally mounted on a fixed wing or rotary winged aircraft. These devices provide the aircraft with enhanced targeting, tracking, image capture, and navigation services.
Our logistics professionals work hand in hand with the customer throughout the entire lifecycle of pod contract acquisition, contract negotiation and management, and ongoing technical equipment support.
Under normal use, each pod has a maintenance and repair schedule that is designed to keep it in top operational shape, but in many cases the pod is used beyond and into overflight hours. S&K Global Solutions performs data management to track the usage profile of each pod while in service past scheduled maintenance. This means maintaining a database on over 5,000 pods with an acquisition cost of over $7.2 billion dollars.
Three pod systems are currently managed by our crew;
- LITENING Targeting Pod – an Israeli designed precision targeting pod system. It features a high resolution forward looking infrared sensor that displays an image of the target to aircrew, and a camera to obtain target imagery.
- LANTIRN Pod – a system that allows aircrew to fly day or night and in adverse conditions by providing radar and forward looking infrared targeting information. It allows aircraft to fly at very low elevation and was developed by Lockheed Martin.
- Sniper Pod – also developed by Lockheed Martin, is the successor of the LANTIRN pod. It provides target identification, tracking, coordinate generation, and precise weapons guidance.
Top photo courtesy USAF
Accolades & Customer Feedback:
“I am writing this letter to let you know how much we appreciate the exemplary work of your RAMPOD Lead Logistician. Mr. Bryan is exceptionally knowledgeable of the RAMPOD system and his expertise is invaluable in supporting the Precision Attack Development Section Sniper targeting pod team.”
– Sniper Lead Logistics Manager, USAF
“Given what I know today about the contractor’s ability to perform in accordance with this contract or order’s most significant requirements, I would recommend them for similar requirements in the future.”
– Chief, Electronic Warfare & Avionics Division, USAF